JEFFERSON PARISH — Ochsner Health and Jefferson Parish have announced Vaccine Fest, a 24-hour COVID-19 mass vaccination event, starting at 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 24 and concluding at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 25. The event will take place continuously over this 24-hour period to honor the essential workers who support our community 24/7 during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Round-the-clock appointments are now open for the drive-thru event which will be held at the Shrine on Airline (6000 Airline Drive, Metairie, La.). 6,500 first doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine will be administered making it the largest COVID-19 mass vaccination event to date in Louisiana. Eligible community members, including essential workers, can make an appointment on myochsner.org or by calling 844-888-2772.
Vaccine Fest will include festival-themed flair, including themed playlists for the vaccine wait period. Those receiving their vaccines are encouraged to use hashtag #VaxFest to share their experience and encourage others to protect themselves and their community by getting vaccinated.
Drago’s Seafood Restaurant will also be onsite throughout the event to celebrate and feed the Ochsner and Jefferson Parish healthcare heroes and volunteers working to vaccinate our hospitality workers and our community.
“COVID-19 has impacted the way we live, work and celebrate and it has postponed the festivals we love. We are all ready to return to normal and get back to doing what we enjoy,” said Dawn Pevey, CEO, System Centers of Excellence & Service Lines at Ochsner Health. “We can safely get back to the best parts of Louisiana life by getting vaccinated. In honor of the essential workers who got our community through the darkest days of the pandemic, we’re hosting a festival-themed, 24-hour mass vaccination event and we encourage everyone who is able to roll up their sleeves with us. To fest safely in the months ahead, let’s start with Vaccine Fest.”
“Our Jefferson Parish team, including our Emergency Management, Parks & Recreation, Fleet Management, Streets, Traffic Engineering, Sewerage, General Services and Citizen Affairs Departments, are working around the clock to make sure as many people as possible get vaccinated. We are proud to continue to partner with Ochsner Health for these COVID-19 mass vaccination drives,” said Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng. “I encourage all who qualify who have not already received their vaccine to register for this 24-hour COVID-19 vaccination event and roll up their sleeves with us.”
To date, Ochsner has administered more than 250,000 vaccine doses, more than any other healthcare provider in Louisiana. To learn more about Ochsner’s vaccine efforts, please visit ochsner.org/vaccine.
Who is eligible to receive the vaccine at this event:
- Eligible workers including but not limited to those who work in the following industries:
- Hotels, restaurants, bars and other food service
- Grocery stores
- Media, IT and communications
- Waste management
- All people ages 65 and older
- People ages 18 and older with a high-risk medical condition
- A full list of eligibility criteria can be found at https://ldh.la.gov/covidvaccine/.
Eligible community members can make an appointment in the following ways:
- · Existing MyOchsner users can log on anytime to schedule.
- If you would like to set up a MyOchsner account, please visit myochsner.org.
- · Call 844-888-2772.
- Ochsner’s call center will be open on Saturday until 3 p.m.
- You do not need to be a past or existing patient of Ochsner to receive the vaccine at this event or any of our vaccination sites.
When will my second dose be scheduled?
- Community members will automatically be signed up to receive their second vaccine dose.
- Second doses will be administered on April 21-22 at the same appointment time as each patient’s first dose at the Shrine on Airline.
How long do these appointments take?
- Usually, patients are finished in about 30 minutes, including the 15-minute monitoring period following their vaccination.
- To make the process as quick as possible, we encourage you to complete your registration online in advance following the instructions sent to you upon booking your appointment.
Are other dates and vaccine appointments available?
- · Appointments across Ochsner Health clinics, community sites and mass vaccination events are opening up daily.
- · Please check https://www.ochsner.org/appointment-availability for availability near you.
To learn more, please visit https://www.ochsner.org/vaccineinfo.
About Ochsner Health
Ochsner Health is a system that delivers health to the people of Louisiana, Mississippi and the Gulf South with a mission to Serve, Heal, Lead, Educate and Innovate. Ochsner Health is a not-for-profit committed to giving back to the communities it serves through preventative screenings, health and wellness resources and partnerships with innovative organizations that share our vision. Ochsner Health healed more than 900,000 people from across the globe in 2020, providing the latest medical breakthroughs and therapies, including digital medicine for chronic conditions and telehealth specialty services. Ochsner Health is a national leader, named the top hospital in Louisiana and a top children’s hospital by U.S. News & World Report. As Louisiana’s leading healthcare educator, Ochsner Health and its partners educate thousands of healthcare professionals annually. Ochsner Health is innovating healthcare by investing in new technologies and research to make world-class care more accessible, affordable, convenient and effective. Ochsner’s team of more than 32,000 employees and 4,500 providers are working to reinvent the future of health and wellness in the region. To learn more about Ochsner Health, please visit www.ochsner.org.