NEW ORLEANS — The City of New Orleans (CNO) today announced open recruitment for 14 new CNO AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) positions across nine City departments, bringing the program total to 24 VISTAs across 18 City departments. The program supports City Hall operations by expanding the capacity of departments to provide better services for underserved and disproportionately impacted communities. It is a fully-funded federal grant program awarded to the City by the Federal AmeriCorps Corporation.
The partnership with AmeriCorps will fuel job creation and bolster support across multiple City departments in order to better serve residents.
“We are excited to engage AmeriCorps VISTA members to address key issues facing our city and helping us to deliver solutions that improve the lives of our residents. The expansion of this program will help the City strengthen existing services and provide new ones. National service is a core value of my administration and demonstrates that by coming together and upholding a commitment to compassion and community empowerment, AmeriCorps members can ‘get things done,” said Mayor LaToya Cantrell.
Through the AmeriCorps grant – dedicated VISTA members benefit by receiving a living allowance, an end-of-service award, healthcare benefits, and much more – all while having the chance to serve with the City and impact their community.
“The additional support provided by this program will allow our City departments to focus on programs and services that have a direct impact on our most vulnerable communities. We are excited to continue to partner with AmeriCorps and expand this unique program with the Mayor’s Office and the City,” said Justin Boone, Director, City of New Orleans VISTA Program.
You can find out more about the program and how to apply by visiting nola.gov/mayor/americorps.
The City of New Orleans is currently seeking passionate individuals for the following positions (The positions will begin in August 2021 and the application deadline is June 25, 2021):
- New Orleans Health Department – Emergency Preparedness Planner
- New Orleans Health Department – Health and Homelessness Program Associate
- Information Technology & Innovation – Program Associate
- Office of Community Development – Administrative Policy Coordinator
- Office of Cultural Economy – Strategic Policy and Communications Associate
- Office of Economic Development – Online Business Services Associate
- Office of Human Rights and Equity – Municipal ID Program Coordinator
- Office of Workforce Development – Business Strategies Program Associate
- Department of Parks and Parkways – Outreach and Social Media Coordinator
- Department of Safety and Permits – Policy Program Associate
- Mayor’s Office of Utilities – Policy and Outreach Coordinator
- Mayor’s Office Project Why – Visual Design Coordinator
- Mayor’s Office Project Why – Operations/Why Button Coordinator
- Mayor’s Office – Executive Office VISTA
The City currently has 10 VISTA members in the following departments and positions (Applications for the following positions will open in September-November 2021):
- New Orleans Mayor’s Office– VISTA Leader
- Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice Coordination– Ethnic and Racial Disparity Coordinator
- Mayor’s Office of Youth and Families– Program Associate
- Mayor’s Office of Transportation – Program Associate
- New Orleans Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness – Language and Accessibility Coordinator
- City Council District C – Outreach Coordinator
- New Orleans Recreation and Development Commission – Program Coordinator
- New Orleans Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness – Emergency Communications Coordinator
- Office of Resilience and Sustainability – Resilience and Sustainability Coordinator
- New Orleans Health Department – COVID-19 Vaccine Coordinator