NEW ORLEANS — The City of New Orleans Department of Sanitation today announced that it will host a Household Hazardous Waste Materials Collection Day on Saturday, May 8, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave). Proof of Orleans Parish residency will be required in the form of a valid driver’s license or a motor vehicle inspection sticker.
Household hazardous items that will be accepted only on Saturday include: garden chemicals, pesticides, household cleaners, drain cleaners, bleach, paint (latex and oil-based), paint thinner, varnish, grout, flammable liquids, muriatic acid, small mercury devices, aerosols, pool shock, antifreeze, motor oil and gasoline. Household hazardous items should never be placed in the garbage or curbside recycling containers.
The following items will not be accepted: tanks, fire extinguishers, explosives, radioactive materials, medicines, medical waste, radioactive materials, asbestos or hazardous waste from businesses or schools.
Items accepted at biweekly recycling drop-off events every second and fourth Saturday include:
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, phone books
- Plastics: #1 (soda/water bottles) and #2 (milk/juice/shampoo/detergent containers),
- Small metals (aluminum and steel)
- Cardboard, boxboard (cereal/soft drink boxes)
- E-waste: iPads, tablets, computers, laptops, telephones/telephone systems, cell phones, bag phones, televisions (limit: four), keyboards, speakers, telephone/computer cables, X-boxes, PlayStations, Wii, MP3/DVD/CD players, UPS, circuit boards, portable navigation/GPS devices, inkjet/toner cartridges, digital cameras/video recorders (DVRs), gaming consoles, DVD movies and video games, fax machines, small printers, monitors, processors, networking equipment, stereos and security systems
- Household batteries (AA, AAA, AAAA, C, D, 6v, 9v, Lithium)
- Lightbulbs (fluorescent and incandescent)
- Mardi Gras beads
- Tires (limit: five)
- Organics for Composting: fruit and vegetable scraps (peels, skins, pits or seeds), tea bags, coffee grounds and paper filters, eggshells, nutshells, seed shells, plain bread, grains and plain pasta (no toppings, meat, bones, dairy or foods with oil)
- Glass (limit 50 lbs.)
The City reserves the right to limit the type and quantities of items accepted.
Residents can visit the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave.) from Tuesday, May 18 through Saturday, May 22, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to reclaim usable water-based and oil-based paint.
Companies providing free recycling services to the community in partnership with the Department of Sanitation include:
- Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council (CACRC) (electronics)
- The Green Project (paint)
- ArcGNO (Mardi Gras beads)
- The Composting Network (composting)
- CW Recycling (recycling)
- Iron Mountain (paper shredding)
For more information, please visit https://nola.gov/sanitation/recycling/drop-off.