NEW ORLEANS – The New Orleans Wine & Food Experience (NOWFE) kicks off its annual event with the Ella Brennan “Stand Up for Your Hometown” Awards gala dinners on Tuesday, June 8. The dinners will take place concurrently at three locations — Galerie de Galatoire, Rib Room, and Broussard’s. Traditionally given to one individual each year that has made a lifetime commitment to the hospitality industry, the board of directors of NOWFE decided this year to honor 13 organizations for their unwavering love and extraordinary response to supporting our community during the Pandemic.
“There are thousands of people and entities in our community who contributed to the outstanding efforts in response to the outbreak of COVID-19,” said Aimee Brown, NOWFE Executive Director. “The recipients of this year’s award are a representation of those that banded together, and certainly not an exhaustive list of those that are so deserving.”
The Ella Brennan Lifetime Achievement in Hospitality Award was named for restaurateur legend Ella Brennan. Her deep passion and commitment made a significant and longstanding impact on the New Orleans hospitality industry. Ti Martin says, “I want to share a quote from the book I did with Mom: ‘Stand up and be counted. Or just make something happen.’ There are times when you just have to stand up and do something. She would be so damn proud of all of you.”
Winners of the Ella Brennan “Stand Up for Your Hometown” Awards are:
- Al Copeland Jr. of The Al Copeland Foundation (Broussard’s)
- Phil Moseley and Ronnie Evans of Blue Oak BBQ (Rib Room)
- Robert Peyton and Troy Gilbert of Chef’s Brigade (Rib Room)
- Zeid and Marv Ammari of Creole Cuisine Restaurant Concepts (Broussard’s)
- Erich and Jennifer Weishaupt of Lagniappe Krewe Emergency Relief Fund (Galerie de Galatoire)
- Devin De Wulf of Feed the Front Line and Feed the Second Line (Rib Room)
- Donald Link and Stephen Stryjewski of Link Restaurant Group (Galerie de Galatoire)
- Jennifer Kelley Killian of Louisiana Hospitality Foundation (Broussard’s)
- Lauren Darnell of MiNO Foundation (Broussard’s)
- Melvin Rodrigue of the National Restaurant Association (Galerie de Galatoire)
- Zach Strief of Port Orleans Brewing Co. (Rib Room)
- Charles Armstrong of Peewee’s Crabcakes On The Go (Galerie de Galatoire)
- Isaac and Amanda Toups of Toups’ Meatery (Rib Room)
Each restaurant venue will host a selection of award recipients (noted above). VIP tables to the event are available at nowfe.com include a VIP reception from 6 – 7 p.m. The dinner gala tickets are $150 per person and are sold through table purchases. Proceeds from the event benefit the many local non-profit organizations that NOWFE supports throughout the year.
NOWFE 2021 is scheduled for June 8 -13 and will include safely presented VINOLA; Grand Tastings; Tournament of Rosés; Burlesque, Bubbly and Brunch; and a lineup of Labs and Experiences.