JEFFERSON – The Jefferson Community Action Programs Department (JeffCAP) and United Way have collaborated to launch the JeffCAP Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program. Eligible clients may receive up to three months of mortgage assistance.
“Recently, JeffCAP was awarded $40,000 from United Way to help assist Jefferson Parish residents with mortgages,” said JeffCAP Director Christi Langoni. “We are grateful to be able to offer this program in an effort to help our residents retain their homes during economic hardship.”
To qualify, the applicant must be a Jefferson Parish resident experiencing economic hardship (i.e. COVID-related, natural disaster-related, etc.), be responsible for mortgage and have a current/valid Louisiana driver’s license/identification card for all persons in the household 18 years or older, social security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for all persons in the household, a current mortgage statement showing delinquency and proof of residency not older than 30 days (i.e. utility bill, official mail, etc.).
See below for a list of program guidelines and restrictions:
- Mortgage assistance is limited to principal and interest only; escrow, taxes, insurance and late fees cannot be included in the payment.
- Only mortgages on principal residences are eligible; payments on second mortgages and lines of credit are not eligible. Forbearance loans and loan modification fees are also ineligible.
- Assistance is limited and may be available to all eligible clients on a first-come, first-served basis. Service is dependent on available funding at the time of the individual’s application.
- Clients who have received assistance through the United Way EFSP funding through other agencies are not eligible.
- Applicants can only receive one benefit per funding cycle (no exceptions).
- Applications will not be accepted via email or fax. Any incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Assistance is restricted and some situations are ineligible:
- More than three months mortgage payment
- First month of new mortgage
- Escrow payments, taxes and insurance
- All fees, including late fees, condo fees, homeowner association fees/dues
To apply, residents should contact Stacey Fields at 504-736-6900. Please allow 30-40 business days from the date of application for processing.
For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.JeffParish.net. Residents can also receive regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.